Effective date: December2014
The Website is a community site open to users over the age of 12 to which you can submit details of your experiences for display, review and discussion with others. If you're under 12 you need to get permission from a parent or guardian before submitting content to the Website.
This statement outlines our policies and practices with respect to personal data and gives you important information regarding your rights and choices with respect to the personal data that is collected and used by us when you use our services, including our website. We pledge to comply with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance in Hong Kong.
Collection of Personal Data
Being involved with us is entirely voluntary. If you choose to be involved, we (or our agents on our behalf) may collect personal data from you, such as:
- your name, address, email, phone and fax numbers
- your gender and date of birth
- financial information such as credit card information (if you make a donation to us or a purchase with us);
- responses to surveys or feedback provided by you;
- your website usage and publication take-up; and
- yourdonation or your purchase history.
For your safety and privacy we advise that you never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else on our website (for example: telephone number, home address or email address), and please do not include postal addresses of any kind. If you have a helpful address to share, please advise the site administrators by emailing email@example.com.
Purpose and Use
We may use the data that you provide us for the following purposes (and purposes directly related to them):
- at your request or subject to your consent having been given, to deliver news, updates and invitations on our activities, programs, products, research and upcoming events;
- to respond to your enquiries or suggestions;
- to process feedback, response to surveys etc. and to follow up with you on your enquiries;
- as permitted or required by law or regulation, or as requested by government authorities or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims;
- to recruit volunteers and participants for our services;
- to improve our services, activities and content and for statistical and other analysis to help us improve our effectiveness;
- to process your donations or your purchases;
to process and manage your applications to join our supporter base, volunteer programs;
- when customising the content and/or layout of our website;
- when providing to our service providers who perform services on our behalf; and
- to prevent or detect a crime or possible criminal activity.
Security of Personal Data
The personal data provided to us is kept securely in our computer systems and those of our service providers (as applicable). All reasonable steps are taken to protect against any unauthorised access, processing, erasure or other use. Access to personal data is restricted to persons who have a need to use the data and have been trained to observe confidentiality.
Retention of Personal Data
We take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that personal data provided to us (or to our data processors/service providers) is not kept for longer than is necessary for the fulfillment of the purpose (including any directly related purpose) for which the data is or is to be used. We will take reasonably practicable measures to erase this personal data that is no longer required.
Access and Correction of Personal Data
You have the right to review and correct personal data given to us. If the process of reviewing or correcting your personal data incurs any costs, we may charge you a reasonable fee accordingly. Should you wish to review or correct personal data, please contact our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you the required form in which to submit your request.
Our content may contain links to and from other websites or certain pages/features on our pages may be hosted by a third party (for example by affiliated charities and organisations). If you follow a link to any of these websites or use such webpages, please note that these websites and third parties have their own privacy policies and we do not accept any liability for these websites or their policies. It is advisable that you review these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
These cookies are persistent after the closing of the browser and will become active again when the website is reopened until removed. The cookies can be deleted at any time by you by following the instruction provided with your browser.
You do not have to accept cookies but without accepting them you may experience reduced site functionality. If you wish to reject the cookies then please read the instructions provided with your browser software should you so wish to do so.